Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 30, 2008
I was reading my friend Shelley's blog, and she was talking about her four year anniversary, which reminded me that it was four years ago today that I met Craig for the first time cause we actually met at Shelley's reception.
I had been at the reception all night helping with the catering, I ran in to a friend of mine who invited me to go to a party, I said sure but he would have to pick me up when the reception was over. He left and when he came back he had brought some friends, one of them being Craig. Now remember I had been catering most of the night so I know I didn't look that great. We were introduced and I remember thinking, "wow, he is really cute." I even remember what he was wearing, jeans and a button up plaid polo, which by the way he still has because Craig doesn't believe in getting rid of clothes. After we all talked for awhile, we got in the car and headed to the party. Craig was driving and at the time he had a ford mustang. I had to cram into this teeny back seat with two other girls, there wasn't even enough room to put our seat belts on, and Craig was driving like a maniac, trying to impress us I suppose. I remember thinking, "I'm only 20, I don't want to die!" We made it to the party alive, and honestly I don't remember much after that. I'll just continue with the story because I know you are all dying to know!:)
I was definitely interested in Craig, but come to find out, he was not interested in me. We hung out a few times over the next couple weeks, all the while he was dating other girls. He finally asked me out on our first date on June 4th, we went to a Diamondbacks game. (I know Craig is going to read this, and probably be mad at me for humiliating him, but this just shows how far he has come!) I was so excited to finally be going out with him, I thought, maybe he is actually kind of interested in me, I was wrong, in the car on the way to the game, Craig made the comment that he was so glad I could come last minute because another girl was supposed to go, but she bailed. Ya, he actually told me that! Anyway, the game was fun, it was always very easy for Craig and I to have a conversation, I guess he just felt comfortable telling me anything, and I mean anything! During the game I got the whole story of how he had just gotten back from California and met this great girl who he was actually now dating, but it was hard because she lived in Utah. The whole time he is telling the story, he is texting this girl. At that point, it was very clear to me that he was definitely not interested, and that I was only there cause his first two picks were unavailable! After that, Craig and I were still friends and we started to hang out more and more. We actually became best friends, we went to the gym together every day. I knew he was going to actually work out, but I was just going so I had an excuse to see him everyday! We started going out more together, not just the two of us, but in groups, and after awhile, Craig just started paying for me everywhere we went., so it was practically like we were dating. On September 28th we went bowling with some friends, Craig paid, and when he dropped me off, he walked me to the door, and we had our first kiss. I guess he got tired of paying and not getting anything for it! So, that is how we met. Now four years, one wedding, and almost two kids later, here we are. Funny how something as simple as deciding to go to a party with some friends can change your life forever!

11 comments:

Lani said...

What a cute story. Isn't it funny how things work out? When Reid and I first started hanging out, he thought I was a "nice friend." Silly boys!

Carroll Family said...

Wow! I guess I missed out on most of that story while it was happening! Glad you stuck with him (I would have been so mad) - we like Craig!

john and steph said...

That is a great story. Guys are just silly and sometimes clueless when it comes to girls.

Kasey said...

What a cute story! Glad things worked out for you guys!

Shelley Goodman said...

I didn't know that. That is funny because my cousin met her husband at our reception too. Glad we could help you guys out! Only you are beating us in the baby department.

Shawna said...

I love hearing how people met. You guys are such a cute couple. Craig was smart to snatch ya!

Jill said...

So cute! I love how he told you about the other girls, typical guy! Good thing it all worked out :) YOu guys are awesome together. Congrats on 4 years.

{ Bethany } said...

You are a more patient woman than I! I didnt know that was the "beginning of the story". He should be embarassed of that first "date"!!!! ;)

Ashleigh and Zebb said...

That's cute! I don't think I ever knew all the details! Get this, one time Craig and I had gone to a Collin Raye concert that my dad gave me tickets for. I met some guy there, so after the concert I went out with that guy after I got home and later I found out that Craig had gone out with someone else that night as well! hahaha You guys are so dang cute together and have some of the cutest kids ever! I'm so happy for you two!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I didn't know some of those little details. Wow, Craig really HAS come a long way. You guys are cute

Jason & Brandi Mitchell Family said...

What an adorable story! I am so proud of your patience! That would have been so sad if the "Allen" family would have never come to be! There would be no adorable Talia, Thanks for sharing! :)